Joint Statement on the Official Visit of Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo HUN SEN,
Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Cambodia to Bangladesh
1. At the invitation of the Prime Minister of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh, Sheikh Hasina, the Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Cambodia, Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo HUN SEN paid an official visit to Bangladesh from 16-18 June, 2014.
2. The Prime Minister of Cambodia paid tribute and respect to the memory of the Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman. He also visited the National Martyrs’ Memorial (Jatiya Smriti Soudha) at Savar and paid respect to the memory of the great freedom fighters of Bangladesh.
3. In an atmosphere of friendship and mutual understanding, the two Prime Ministers held in-depth discussions on wide-ranging bilateral, regional and multilateral issues of mutual interest at the official talks held on 17 June, 2014. They reaffirmed their commitment to further deepen and strengthen the bilateral relations, which is rooted in the shared historical, religious and cultural linkages between two countries.
4. Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina congratulated Samdech Prime Minister Hun Sen on the victory of Cambodian People’s Party at the 5th National Assembly elections held on 28 July 2013 and on his re-appointment as the Prime Minister of Cambodia. Samdech Prime Minister Hun Sen congratulated Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on the victory of Bangladesh Awami League at the 10th parliamentary elections held on 5 January 2014 and on her re-appointment as the Prime Minister of Bangladesh.
5. Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina noted that the visit of Prime Minister Hun Sen has imparted renewed momentum to the existing excellent bilateral relations. They also noted with satisfaction that Bangladesh and Cambodia have developed a strong and mutually beneficial partnership at bilateral, regional and multilateral levels and are working closely for fostering greater regional cooperation for the socio-economic development, peace and stability in the region.
6. Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina applauded the achievements of Cambodia in socio-economic development of the country under the leadership of Samdech Prime Minister Hun Sen. She also noted with appreciation the leadership role and valuable contribution of Cambodia in ASEAN. Prime Minister of Cambodia Samdech Hun Sen praised Bangladesh for its spectacular success in economic and social sectors and lauded Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina for her dynamic and visionary guidance leading Bangladesh towards greater heights of development nationally and in promoting peace, stability and progress at regional and global level.
7. The Prime Ministers acknowledged the imperative and benefits of regular bilateral consultations that would afford to review and seek ways for expanding and deepening bilateral relations between the two countries. The two sides agreed to establish a Joint Commission to identify new areas of cooperation and coordinate and deepen existing cooperation in various areas.The Prime Ministers also agreed to establish a Joint Trade Council in the spirit of Article VII of the Trade Agreement between the Royal Government of Cambodia and the People’s Republic of Bangladesh, to be co-chaired by the Ministers of Commerce of the two countries to widen economic cooperation and broaden trade relations between both countries. The Prime Minister of Cambodia welcomed Bangladesh’s intention to hold a Single Country Fair in Cambodia in 2015.
8. Both sides stressed the need for strengthening relations between business communities of the two countries and in this context, encouraged the private sectors to develop an institutional arrangement between their Chambers of Commerce to exploit the full potentials of bilateral trade. The Prime Ministers also stressed for mutual investments in each other’s countries taking advantages of the conducive environment for investment.
9. The two leaders agreed to deepen cultural and educational ties between the two countries through cultural and educational exchange programmes for building greater understanding between the peoples of the two countries.
10. Both sides agreed to encourage greater high-level interactions to enhance mutual understanding and friendship between the peoples of the two countries, particularly at high political and government officials as well as between academics, media, youth and sportsmen and cultural personalities etc.
11. The Prime Ministers expressed satisfaction at the existing level of cooperation between the two countries in various regional bodies including in ACD and UNESCAP. The Prime Minister Hun Sen appreciated Bangladesh’s constructive role and initiatives in promoting regional peace, stability and progress in the region. They reaffirmed their commitment to further enhance and strengthen bilateral cooperation in various regional cooperative frameworks for regional peace, stability and prosperity.
12. Bangladesh Prime Minister thanked the Prime Minister of Cambodia for his country’s support towards Bangladesh’s membership in ASEM. Prime Minister of Cambodia expressed his confidence that Bangladesh would make meaningful contributions in this trans-continental grouping.
13. The Prime Minister of Cambodia welcomed Bangladesh’s close cooperation and engagement with ASEAN member states and acknowledged Bangladesh’s deep interest in elevating the relationship to a level of dialogue partnership in ASEAN. The Prime Minister of Cambodia acknowledged the request of Bangladesh to accord a favourable consideration to Bangladesh’s joining the Mekong-Ganga Cooperation.
14. The Prime Ministers expressed satisfaction at the existing level of cooperation between the two countries in various international fora and agreed to forge closer cooperation in the United Nations, NAM, WTO and in other international fora on issues of mutual interest.
15. Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and Samdech Prime Minister Hun Sen shared the view that the current process of globalization is widening the gaps between the rich and the poor in the world and thus agreed that there is an urgent need to narrow the development gaps. In this regard, they supported the call to the developed countries to grant duty-free quota-free market access to all products and services of the Least Developed Countries to ensure sustainable development.
16. During the visit, the two Prime Ministers welcomed and witnessed the signing of the following Agreements and Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
i. Agreement between the Royal Government of Cambodia and the Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh on the Establishment of a Joint Commission for Promoting Bilateral Cooperation;
ii. Agreement between the Royal Government of Cambodia and the Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh for the Promotion and Reciprocal Protection of Investments;
iii. Agreement on Cultural Cooperation between the Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh and the Royal Government of Cambodia; and
iv. Memorandum of Understanding on Scientific and Technical Cooperation in the Field of Agriculture between the Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh and the Royal Government of Cambodia.
17. Prime Minister Hun Sen expressed his deep appreciation to Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and to the people of Bangladesh for the warm welcome and gracious hospitality extended to him during the visit and extended an invitation to Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to visit Cambodia at a mutually convenient time. Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina accepted and conveyed her appreciation for the invitation. It was agreed that the dates of the visit would be finalized through diplomatic channels.